By JOHN VAN VLIET
PublishedDecember 15, 2021 at 6:34 PM
Last UpdatedDecember 15, 2021 at 6:34 PM
HAWTHORNE, NJ – Hours after a devastating fire destroyed a home on Washington Avenue, Hawthorne Fire Chief Joseph Speranza released a statement, urging Hawthorne residents to install smoke detectors in their homes. The statement came out after the borough has suffered a number of house catastrophic fires, among them, a Westervelt Avenue fire almost exactly one year ago, a terrible house fire on Buena Vista Avenue this November 3, and another destructive fire on Victor Place on November 21.
“On behalf of the Hawthorne Fire Department,” Speranza said in a statement, “we are asking our residents to ensure installation and use of smoke detectors. The department has responded to numerous serious house fires already this heating season and a common factor is lack of functioning smoke detectors.”
Speranza also asked residents “not to assume the causes of fires,” saying that each recent fire was unique, “with the exception of insufficient smoke detection.”
The chief recommended that, in addition to smoke detectors, residents install carbon monoxide detectors, get their heating systems checked, along with fireplaces and chimneys. “If alarms become activated or you smell smoke or natural gas, call 911 and please do not ignore the warning signs,” Speranza said. “Fire grows rapidly and will triple in size in minutes. Please be safe this holiday and entire winter season.”